You may be living in one of the more desirable areas of the states, with a beautiful exterior. But this essentially counts for nothing if you neglect the interior design. More specifically, today I’m going to be talking about the bathroom and how it’s often forgotten about despite being a highly used room.
The toilet is going to be the primary focus here, but there is also going to be a case made for showers, bath tubs, sinks, and much more in the future.
So what should you be looking for when shopping? This is something I want to cover in depth, with special attention paid to features that can make or break a product.
Toilet buying guide
Whilst many believe choosing a product is the simple part of home improvement, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Often, there are details within the specs that can cause all kinds of headaches for consumers if they don’t choose wisely. Listed below, we go over some of these to help you make an informed decision. We’ve combined our own knowledge alongside the helpful tips provided by the toilet brains website to ensure you have a chance of finding one of the best toilets on the market.
1. Rough in – For those of you completely new to any kind of plumbing work, rough in refers to the size which is needed to ensure your bowl lines up with the waste outlet. Quite a simple concept, but by not understanding this and measuring this yourself, you run the risk of getting an incorrect size with it needing to be sent back or replaced. The majority of people reading this will find they require a twelve inch one. However, you need to be careful with assumptions as this isn’t always true.
2. Material – Thinking further ahead will enable you to handle maintenance easily. The glazing used on the bowl and trapway in particular should be your focus here. Multiple toilet brands offer all kinds of glazing which are made to fight and fend off bacteria, mildew, and much more. The names used for such glazing will vary from brand to brand, EverClean surface is one such option.
3 Manufacturer – OK, it’s easy to get bogged down in choosing one specific company over another. I will tell you from first hand experience, many of the big names in this industry have similar set ups and flushing capabilities. If you stick with a leading brand, you can’t go too far wrong. American Standard, KOHLER, Gerber, Mansfield, and Toto toilets are among our favorites. And if you do a bit of digging and research yourself, you’ll find many of them have a solid reputation too, with good reviews from buyers on multiple retailers websites.
4. Flush mechanism – Wash down, siphonic, pressure assisted, upflushing, and dual flush. These are all types of flushing mechanisms that have their own ways to remove waste from the bowl and through the pipes. If you’re looking for power, pressure assisted units could be a welcome addition to your washroom. However, if you’re looking to save a bit of cash on an economical option, dual flush or WaterSense models will match your requirement. There is plenty of variety in this department, so be sure to be thorough when you analyze individual products.
5. Water efficiency – As mentioned previously, there are toilets designed to save water in the long term. Already installed units will typically utilize 1.6 gallons per flush. However, more efficient ones, which are WaterSense labelled, will consume 1.28 gallons and below.
6. Price – Now, in a dream scenario, I could mention a really inexpensive option that will handle heavy day to day usage well. However, I want to be realistic and truthful with my readers. The minimum budget I suggest you start at is 300 dollars. Anything less than that and you could quite easily run into performance and durability issues. If you want to up the quality a little, 450 bucks is a very good bet. Plenty to work with there.
7. MaP rating – The MaP test essentially lets us and consumers know how effective the flsuhing mechnism is at handling bulk waste. Zero being useless, and 1000 grams being the top of the line. We recommend looking for ones at 600 grams and above to save dissapointment.
These are the seven tips I work with when picking a good toilet out from the competition. There are minor additional details you can look into to help you further such as the seat, and rim height, but for the most part, the steps above have certainly helped me form my own unbiased opinions in my career.
I wish you luck, and get in touch with me. I love hearing about any projects you’re working on as well as before and after pics of the renovation.